Sunday, September 16, 2007

Ramadan Kareem

Though I seem to be in a constituency of one, I actually enjoy the holy month of Ramadan. True, the traffic is awful, decisions take longer and supermarkets are misery, but it is also the month which truly reminds me of where I am blessed to live.

Truly, the pace of life changes. There's a tangibly different feel to crowds, a real sense that this month of austerity, reflection and prayer actually means something. As a western expat, I am impressed by the depth and universality of faith evidenced by the crowded mosques and teeming Iftar tents. Simple things like water and dates dispensed at petrol stations, the sunset cannon, the muzzein's call to prayer, these are now as familiar and comforting to me as were church bells in the UK.

So to all my reader, colleagues and friends Muslim, agnostic, Arab and expat, may I wish a peaceful and profound Ramadan Kareem.

1 Comments:

Blogger secretdubai said...

Yeah, I always find Ramadan great. It's even better if you fast (even if you're not Muslim).

6:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home